Lesson Plan: It’s a wonderful Christmas time!!!
The following lesson has been designed to allow English teachers to incorporate into their classroom context some cultural elements concerning Christmas. The lesson consists of activities focusing on the selected words associated in different English cultures with Christmas.
Didactic materials / classroom equipment / audiovisual aids:
- copies of the activities (one copy of each activity for every student) – Plik 5, 6, 7
- copies of the pictures presenting Christmas vocabulary – Plik 1, 2, 3, 4
Types of activities:
- cognitive tasks (individual work)
Aims of the lesson:
- To teach/revise the selected words associated with Christmas (8 words: sleigh, bell, candy cane, Christmas tree, stocking, reindeer, candle, present).
- To incorporate some cultural elements concerning Christmas.
- The teacher comes to the classroom, greets his/her students, and informs them about his/her plans for the lesson. (1 minute)
- The teacher presents some colourful pictures with Christmas vocabulary (Plik 1,2,3,4). He/she shows them to the students and reads every word aloud and carefully. The words are hung on the board. The students repeat the words chorally after the teacher. (4 minutes)
- The teacher provides the students with the copies of three tasks. (Plik 5) The first task is to colour the pictures according to instructions provided aloud by the teacher. The sample instruction would be as follows: “Colour the sleigh yellow!”, etc. The second task is to trace the Christmas words that appear below the pictures. The third task is to join the pictures with the appropriate traces prepared by the Ss. (15 minutes)
- At this stage of the lesson the Ss are asked to write the missing letters in the English names of Christmas objects. (Plik 6) They should write the letters without looking on the pictures hung on the board. They can compare their answers with the correct ones when they finish doing their tasks. Next the teacher selects a few Ss who read all the words aloud. This is the first moment of the lesson when Ss’ oral production of the selected words is introduced. (6 minutes)
- Once again the teacher reads aloud the words hung on the board. The students close their eyes and the teacher hides three pictures. The students open their eyes and try to guess the missing words. They put their hands up when they want to present their answers aloud. The routine is repeated many times. The students who guess the missing words are rewarded and can select the pictures to be hidden by the teacher. (5 minutes)
- The teacher puts the pictures above his head so that he cannot see them. He carefully presents the pictures one after another without looking at them. He can try to give the answer three times in the case of every picture. After three unsuccessful attempts he loses a point. The game continues until the teacher or the students get three points. (5 minutes)
- The teacher provides the students with the copies containing a homework activity (Plik 7). The Ss’ task is to find the eight words introduced during the lesson. All the words the Ss should find are enlisted below the photocopied wordsearch activity. The details concerning the homework are carefully explained by the teacher. (2 minutes)
- The teacher sums up the whole lesson and asks every student to recall his/her favourite word from the lesson. (4 minutes)
- The last stage of the lesson is the tidy-up stage. The students listen to a Christmas carol/song selected by the teacher, pack their bags and tidy up their desks. They must be ready before the end of the song. In the meantime the teacher checks the attendance and looks for the absent children. (3 minutes)
Materiały do pobrania:
Instytut Języka Angielskiego (Zakład Akwizycji Języka)
Instytut Języków Romańskich i Translatoryki